Position: Producer for Live Events and Digital
Reports To: Executive Producer, Doha Debates
Location: Washington D.C.
We’re looking for a motivated and multi-talented producer to work on a small but mighty team primarily focused on creating engaging video content tailored for our live debates but that also resonates with audiences in digital spaces.
You have a deep interest in world affairs and the news. You believe that a well told story can change the way people see the world or feel about a certain issue. You feel at ease debating big topics. You are extremely visual. You are thirsty to learn about new things and challenge yourself with new ideas. You are a doer and a team player. You can take a great piece of content from pitch to publication. You shoot, edit and write. You have an eye for detail and thirst for facts and a good argument.
You have a background in storytelling and you’re not afraid to experiment with new forms. You have strong viewpoints you’re willing to fight for, but you are interested in listening to and amplifying opposing voices because you believe that healthy discourse is inherently good. You constantly challenge yourself and those around you. Having a background in broadcast television production and live events is a plus.
The person in this role will be expected to regularly pitch original stories and work closely with animators and editors to make impactful videos.
You will also be expected to work across the teams at Doha Debates including with the podcasting team and the television series development team.
Position Functions and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, each essential duty and responsibility must be performed satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Write and proofread scripts for short form content that may vary from animated explainers to profiles
- Help innovate our live debate format and create best practices for integrating video
- Work closely with the EPs of digital and live events to stay on track, meet deadlines and create compelling and engaging videos
- Work closely with the head of social/audience to optimize social packaging for videos
- Meet and maintain the highest editorial standards on a daily basis and ensure that all content is thoroughly fact checked and vetted before publication
- The ability to edit using Premiere and the ability to shoot on DSLR or equivalent cameras
- A facility for social media and and an interest in helping build an engaged audience around Doha Debates content
- The ability to set up shoots and book interviews
- At least 2+ year professional experience in journalism or digital media
- A proven interest in international topics, the ability to frame a cogent argument and critical thinking skills are an absolute must
- Background in creating educational content is a plus
- Impeccable grammar and the ability to write punchy, concise copy
- Copy editing skills are a plus.
- Must be organized and have a passion for telling important stories
- An interest and proven track record with social media tools and the ability to help build engagement around important content
- The ability to project manage and liaise with multiple team members (across time zones)
- The ability to collaborate with animators and editors to create excellent content
- The ability to manage a project from start to finish
- The ability to create engaging short and long form content
- At least 2+ years professional experience in journalism or digital media
- Bachelor’s or equivalent job experience
This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the sole standards for the position. Incumbents are expected to perform all other duties as required.
About Doha Debates
Doha Debates provides compelling and engaging content and forums for discussing the most important issues facing people today. Originally branded “The Doha Debates”, a BBC program hosted by Tim Sebastian from 2005 to 2012, the new Doha Debates builds on this successful legacy with a relaunch of the franchise through a suite of products to engage younger global audiences including live debate events, social and digital content, podcasts and a television series. With a focus on the educational community, Doha Debates seeks to engage student populations in the debate content.
About the Organization
Qatar Foundation International (QFI) engages a global community of diverse learners and educators, fostering global competency and 21st century skills through the exploration of the Arabic language and the Arab world’s societies and cultures. QFI is supporting the relaunch of Doha Debates (DD).
Interested applicants can send a cover letter and resume
to email@example.com with the subject Live Events Video Producer